I was once a slave
A slave to people's ideas and opinions.
A conformist really.
If I wasn't conforming
I was rebelling
Against my better judgement.
I did this until I saw this same characteristic in somebody else.
A sponge that absorbed everybody's opinions but their own.
It was ugly.
It was pathetic.
It made me loath myself.
Because I saw it in somebody else, I realized how it MUST look on me.
I realized that I have a mind of my own
So... can I not come up with original ideas of my own?
Can I not comprehend and develop an opinion on what is happening around me?
Why should I lock my subconscious along with my opinions in a cage to make room for other people's ideas?
Today, I analysed somebody's opinion and reasoned it wasn't best for it to be MY opinion.
That's when I realized that I just freed myself from a part of my mental slavery.
So... some emancipation was accomplished today.
& it feels good.
A slave to people's ideas and opinions.
A conformist really.
If I wasn't conforming
I was rebelling
Against my better judgement.
I did this until I saw this same characteristic in somebody else.
A sponge that absorbed everybody's opinions but their own.
It was ugly.
It was pathetic.
It made me loath myself.
Because I saw it in somebody else, I realized how it MUST look on me.
I realized that I have a mind of my own
So... can I not come up with original ideas of my own?
Can I not comprehend and develop an opinion on what is happening around me?
Why should I lock my subconscious along with my opinions in a cage to make room for other people's ideas?
Today, I analysed somebody's opinion and reasoned it wasn't best for it to be MY opinion.
That's when I realized that I just freed myself from a part of my mental slavery.
So... some emancipation was accomplished today.
& it feels good.

Very often the need to be liked and understood prevents us from not absorbing, we feel like if we do not sponge it in, our arguments would not hold water against somebody we very often also admire. But it is important, to hold you own, to have your own say, to use your right to comment and reserve it when necessary. Good article, it has been recommended. :-)
ReplyDelete